Crockpot Lasagna

Friday, July 24, 2015
It's July.  I live in Texas.  This means that my soul purpose in life is to keep the house as cool as possible.  I dream of a convection oven, but alas, it's still but a dream.  This means I spend as much time away from the oven as possible.  I really, really wanted lasagna this week, but it conflicted with my life's mission.  I found this recipe on allrecipes and I made a few changes, and I am seriously obsessed.  As in, my mouth is watering while I'm writing this right now and I'm trying to calculate how many miles I'll have to run if I go get another scoop, and the conclusion is...I just don't care.
So, if you want an easy dish, a delicious dish, or to never turn the dial on you oven on again, might I recommend-crockpot lasagna.
Crockpot Lasagna
Ingredients: 1 lb beef (you could also do a mix of Italian sausage and beef), 1 onion (chopped), 2 t garlic, 29 oz tomato sauce (I like to get the kind with onions and other spices), 6 oz tomato paste, 1 t. oregano, 12 oz of oven ready lasagna noodles, 12 oz of ricotta cheese, 1/2 c. Parmesan, 16 oz mozzarella cheese.
Instructions:  
1.  Brown mean, onions, and garlic.  Once it is browned, add the tomato sauce, paste, and oregano.  Cook until heated through.
2.  In a separate bowl, mix ricotta, Parmesan and mozzarella (I reserved a little mozzarella to sprinkle on top).
3.  Spray your crockpot with pam to save dish washing time later.
4.  Layer sauce, noodles (break them up to fit into crockpot-I did two layers of noodles on each layer), and then cheese.  Repeat until you run out of ingredients (I had about 5 layers).  The noodles will cook as the crockpot heats.  I sprinkled a little mozzarella cheese on the top.
5.  Cook for about 4 hours on low (until sides are just starting to brown.

1 comment

Msheepers said...

That sounds awesome! I sure wish Jason ate pasta; maybe I'll just make it for myself...

The only thing I can add is: have you heard about crock pot liners?! You put the liner in your crock pot, cook your food, throw the liner away, and voilà the crock pot is ready to be used again!